Happy Thanksgiving!


As I sat in my room reading I thought how appropriate that I come across this verse on Thanksgiving Day! Ps 84:5 “Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.” Anyone else catches the word “pilgrimage” in that verse; made me think of Pilgrims. If you are like me I am sure growing up in school you had no shortage, around Thanksgiving time, of “thanksgiving” tip activities. Plays, books, coloring activities, class parties; and all this centered on the theme of “The Pilgrims.” I looked up what the definition of Pilgrim on Wikipedia : A pilgrim (lat. peregrinus) is one who undertakes a pilgrimage, literally 'far afield'. This is traditionally a visit to a place of some religious or historic significance; often a considerable distance is traveled. a pilgrimage is a very long quest/journey.


How often do we remind ourselves we are on a journey leading to a glorious heavenly city? We may go from trial to trial but according to Ps 84:7, we also go “from strength to strength.” Remember, walking consistently does not mean walking perfectly, it means we will stumble and fall! Just today I came home from a journey to Macon, Ga with my sister! We left yesterday, and came home this morning! Even though it is just a two hour drive I do love a good road trip! We woke up that morning and went by McDonalds to get the breakfast of champions, and then headed how to Atlanta…or “The A.T.L” as my cousin calls it! Only people not from Atlanta call Atlanta “The A.T.L!” We listened to Christmas Music and talked the whole way! It was great! Some journey’s, like this, are fun, but some are not so much fun! This journey we are on with Christ is not always easy, but it can be fun and full of adventure! Yes, hard times will come, but there are also good times too! Everyday can bring trouble, but every day we have a blessed troubleshooter. Satan seeks to disgrace us, accuse us, and condemn us. We must daily set our faces like flint on the face of Christ and follow Him step by step to victory.


I want to give you a definition of “flint” and what it means in the context of what was just said, and what you are about to read in Isa 50. If you are like me, you are probably wondering, what is flint? I want to tell you so you don't read over it and miss what God is telling us. Flint: abounds in all the plains and valleys of the wilderness of the forty years' wanderings. In Isa 50:7 and Eze 3:9 the expressions, where the word is used, means that the "Messiah would be firm and resolute amidst all contempt and scorn which he would meet; that he had made up his mind to endure it, and would not shrink from any kind or degree of suffering which would be necessary to accomplish the great work in which he was engaged." (Eze 3:8, 9.)


Isaiah 50:7-11 (New International Version, ©2010)


7 "Because the Sovereign LORD helps me,
I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
and I know I will not be put to shame.
8 He who vindicates me is near.
Who then will bring charges against me?
Let us face each other!
Who is my accuser?
Let him confront me!
9 It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me.
Who will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
The moths will eat them up.
10 Who among you fears the LORD
and obeys the word of his servant?
Let the one who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD
and rely on their God.
11 But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go, walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment."


No matter how long we’ve walked with God, we will still have days that see dark. In those times God tells us to trust in His name and rely on who He is. Job 23:10 continues to be a blessing to me when I don’t know what to do: “But he knows the way I take.” When you feel you’ve lost your way, take heart! He knows the way that you take. Stand still, cry out, and bid Him to come to you! He’ll lead you on from there, and miraculously, when once again you see the light, you’ll be able to see the footprints you made in the dark. Never will He hold our hand more tightly that when He is leading you through the dark.

What is your biggest temptation when you don’t feel that God is illuminating your way? Isa 50:11 describes mine perfectly. I tend to want to light my own fire and walk by the illumination of my own torch. Yes, you and I will still veer periodically from the path, no matter how obediently we want to walk, because we’re pilgrims with feet of clay. The beauty of God’s light is this: it will always lead us right back to the path. No matter how long the detour has been, the return is only a shortcut. “Save me, for I am yours.” (Ps 119:94)


This is one of my favorite songs when I am going through a trial(s). Reminding me that God is always there. Walking right beside, and you no matter what you or I may be facing!! Romans 8:37 "despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us."

Comments

Popular Posts