We Have Been Invited

I love Bible study!!! At the moment the study I am doing is called “Ruth: Loss, Love and Legacy” by Kelly Minter. If I could I would love to type up each day’s session and post it on here for everyone to read. But, today I think that I will post one of them because it was so good I couldn’t keep it to myself. I can’t keep 99% of what God is teaching me to myself…hence the blog! So what you are about to read is Day 3 of Week 3 in “Ruth: Loss, Love, and Legacy.” Anything that is in Italics is me adding my 10 cents! Sit back and go with me to Bethlehem of Judah. Put yourself in the shoes of Ruth, a foreigner who has found favor with a King!

Some of the best conversations happen in the kitchen; have you ever noticed that? That is the place where everyone seems to gravitate to in a home. Whenever there is some kind of party or get together the “hangout place” always seems to be the kitchen. I can think of so many times having the best, deepest, and funniest conversations gathered around a table, or counter. Even now I think of one of my best friends Jen and I. Just the other day I was at her house and as usual I had lunch there. After we made our sandwiches she invited me to have a seat at her table. Her and I, I’m pretty sure sat there for a good hour talking. There is something about sitting together at a table that brings such sweet fellowship and conversation. I hope one day to have a home that people feel welcomed to come, and know they are invited to come and sit at my table. There is nothing I love more than a good conversation, over some coffee in the kitchen. For me, there is nothing sweeter!

Maybe not everyone gives so much thought to their table, but to me, communing and dining are at the essence of relationships. This may be why today’s reading feels so remarkable to me.
Ruth 2:14 “At mealtime Boaz said to her, "Come over here. Have some bread and dip it in the wine vinegar." When she sat down with the harvesters, he offered her some roasted grain. She ate all she wanted and had some left over.”

We don’t know how much time passed between yesterday’s verse 13 and this verse when Boaz invited Ruth to a meal. And again, we can’t overemphasize how extraordinary this invitation was and how far it exceeded that the law required. Suddenly, Ruth found herself sitting at Boaz’s table, not among the gleaners, but among the reapers!

Look back at Ruth 2:13 "May I continue to find favor in your eyes, my lord," she said. "You have given me comfort and have spoken kindly to your servant—though I do not have the standing of one of your servant girls."

I believe we all deeply long to be invited “to the table.” It represents all the things that speak belonging, acceptance, and the honor of being chosen. It’s a picture of intimacy, conversation, and nourishments, and safety. What is more valuing than being invited to someone’s table? Especially when the invitation is extended by someone highly esteemed like Boaz.

Part of what was remarkable about Ruth being invited to dine with nobility is that she was not considered worthy to be there. She had no entrance on her own, no right to the meal, no privilege to the table. This gift could only be extended by someone who not only had a heart of extraordinary kindness but also had the authority to do so. Kindness alone could never have been enough; power had to be part of the equation.

Only when the forces of power and kindness come together will we be in a position to eat from the King’s table. We are to prepare for this meal now; but the One with the authority of God and the kindness of a Lamb, Jesus Christ Himself, will ultimately fulfill it the heavenlies with every saint present. This is the most important feast we will ever be invited to.

Read Revealtion 19:6-10. Keep in mind that though stories like Ruth’s took place in time, space, and history, they also serve as a picture of spiritual realities.
“Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:
"Hallelujah!
For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)
Then the angel said to me, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!' “And he added, "These are the true words of God."
At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."


When I read that I about came off my couch!!! Have you ever seen the show “Say Yes to the Dress?” I love that show. What amazes me is how EXPENSIVE the dresses are. I just now thought, how would I feel If I walked into a dress shop like “Klienfelds” in New York, and my father was standing there holding my dream wedding dress and said “Here, this is for you. it’s a gift from me. You don’t have to pay a thing, I’m giving it to!” I would FREAK OUT!!! “Dad, you are GIVING me a wedding dress; and an expensive one at that. This wasn’t cheap. Are you serious?”

When getting married regardless of the season , in- or outdoors, afternoon or evening, a bride always needs a gown. Incidentally, the wedding feast of the Lamb will prove no different. We will be wearing Fine Linen, bright and clean, the righteous acts of the saints. This very interesting passage says that the church (the bride of Christ) had made herself ready by wearing fine linens that represent the righteousness (righteous acts) of the saints. At first glance, this almost looks like getting to Christ’s table is a matter of living the best life we possibly can, shunning our sinful tendencies while bolstering our good deeds, and hoping that in the end our “outfits” will be white and clean enough to inherit heaven. But verse 8 indicated something entirely different. “Fine linen, bright and clean, was GIVEN her to wear.”

I have heard the gospel message preached my whole life, but suddenly I am relieved and rejoicing all over again. The linen has been given to us to wear! It is not up to us to clothe ourselves in our own self-righteousness any more than it was up to Ruth to redeem her heritage. Jesus Christ is our righteousness. The good news of the gospel is that Jesus has extended an invitation to every one of us. I can almost hear the “but you don’t know what all I’ve done” sentiments resounding in some of your heads because the same voices have accused me. Please know that there is nothing that Christ does not have the power to forgive or that is too scarlet to be covered by the white linen of His righteousness. Though we are unworthy, we are invited to God’s table because of Christ’s kindness and authority.



Comments

Popular Posts