God's Timing

God is so faithful. The last post I wrote was a day before I went on a date that changed my life forever. How fitting that the day before God was going to bring the man I will soon get to call husband, He first reminded me of His love for me.

Even though our story will eventually be on our wedding website, I thought it would also be fun to share it here. This blog has been the place I have poured my heart out at times, and it's allowed me to navigate the ups and downs of waiting on God, with His Word as my guide.


Adam and I met at Kennesaw First Baptist Church in Middle School. We were both very active in the youth group there all the way through High School. Kennesaw played a huge part in our lives. Not only was it at Kennesaw that our faith in God was anchored, but the friendships that we both developed through our time there would last well past High School graduation. And, end up playing a role in bringing us together, in God’s perfect timing. 
After college, like most people, we parted ways. It wasn't until about 2014 that God would begin to use some of those old Kennesaw First Baptist friendships. God was working behind the scenes for years, preparing both of us for the day he'd bring us together. 
A mutual friend of ours, who I would go hiking with most every Saturday, had been insisting that Adam and I go out together for almost 2-years. She would listen to all my dating/single woes' and end most every hike telling me that Adam and I should go out.  So she decided to take matters into her own hands and set up a double date. However, at the last minute, I had to cancel and asked Adam to let me know the next time he was in town and maybe we could try and get together.
A few weeks passed, and to my surprise, Adam texted me and asked me out to dinner. So on July 8, 2017, we finally reunited. Neither of us knew if the other considered this dinner an actual date or just a chance to catch-up. Our two hour meal felt like no time had passed, and it quickly became obvious to us that this was indeed a date. Dinner turned into a movie, then a second and a third date. Then Adam had  to leave and head to Rapid City, South Dakota for a 2-week event. 
Because his job on the road constantly kept him out of town, we were afraid that it would be a major inconvenience that we would have to try and constantly deal with. But God was actually using that "inconvenience" as the very thing that would help us fall in love.
Because I am a school teacher, and was on summer break, we were able to talk and text, almost constantly, for the entire two weeks he was on the road. It was during all of those stories, questions and conversations that we truly fell in love. It was obvious that God’s hand was on this relationship and it was a true gift of His grace. 
Flash forward 5-months to November. Adam was blessed enough to be able to fly me out to Spokane, Washington to ride his bus back to Atlanta with him after the tour he was on had been completed. Little did I know, Adam had planned to drive back through Rapid City, South Dakota. The very place he went to after those first three days of dating. The place where we fell in love.  
Once in Rapid City, on November 20th, Adam and I walked to dinner at a nearby Mexican restaurant (my favorite food). On the walk back to the bus from the restaurant, Adam wanted to show me the now empty park where the event was held, back in July. After, pointing out where the stage and other structures were, he walked me to a spot where five months earlier, he told me, his life, very literally, changed forever. It was the exact spot where he received one of a hundred text messages from me. In this particular message, was a link to a song that Adam took as a message from God. Because after listening to that song, God's will for his life, became clear.
After explaining all of this to me, he said "This is where I was when I fell in love with you. And this is where I was when I knew that I would ask you this question..." In that moment, he got down on one knee. And while trying to fight back the tears, he said “Brittney, I love you. Will you marry me?” I then wept and said without a doubt, “Yes, of course, I’ll marry you!” Then he pulled out the most beautiful ring I've ever seen, he then asked if he could take my promise ring off ,that I'd been wearing since I was 16-years old, and replace it with a now engagement ring.
God is so faithful. His timing truly is perfect. All those years ago, at Kennesaw First Baptist, God was working.  And through all those years, even the years we were apart, he was painting a beautiful picture of His grace and His love (Below is the song that I sent Adam, "every mile mattered"). 
“He has made everything beautiful in it’s time.” Ecc. 3:11 

Comments

Popular Posts