Call to Action. Rise Up. Move on.


“Then Shekaniah son of Jehiel, one of the descendants of Elam, said to Ezra, “We have been unfaithful to our God by marrying foreign women from the peoples around us. But in spite of this, there is still hope for Israel. Now let us make a covenant before our God to send away all these women and their children, in accordance with the counsel of my lord and of those who fear the commands of our God. Let it be done according to the Law. Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it.”- Ezra 10:1-4

If there is one key thing that it takes to be an ASP Teacher it’s knowing how to create structure where there is none. I would say classroom management is the number one thing you must learn fairly quickly. There are many different little “saying” I say to help my students remember rules, or sometimes I’ll come up with little quick phrases to give instructions.

For example: “heads down, voice off”, “Log off and line up”,
“Bottom in the chair not in the air”, “four on the floor (keeping the four legs of a chair on the floor), but one that I have just started (more to help with my sanity) is, “don’t complain about what you can’t control.”

I have students coming up, “it’s hot, I’m hot, I’m cold, I don’t like that movie, I don’t wanna go outside, I don’t wanna go to the gym, why do we have to eat this…etc.” You get the idea.

So I started telling them, “do you or I have any control over the weather?” Their answer “No.” My response, “Well then lets not spend all our time complaining about what we can’t control. Lets’ either come up with a solution or stop complaining.”

If you’re hot, go get some water or take off the jacket you’re wearing in 80-degree weather! Those options can help cool you off, but if all you’re going to do is complain, please stop because it’s just noise.

Even though this may seem silly, we are all guilty of it (myself) included. But reading this passage tonight reminded me of the very thing I’m trying to teach my ASP kids—get up and do something about it or stop complaining.

Even though Ezra had every right to be upset, here the Israelites were having just come out of captivity from Babylon and they were at it again intermarrying (this had nothing to do with race btw it had to do with faith). Here Ezra is just in awe! Things are finally looking up and getting good and…here we go again!!!

What Shekaniah son of Jehiel, one of the descendants of Elam said to Ezra is what got me! “All hope is not lost…rise up; this matter is in your hands…”

Translation, you can do something about this! It’s in your power to do something about the very thing you’re weeping and praying over! You can make it stop!

How often do we complain, or pray about things that are in our control to do something about. We look at a situation and immediately fall into despair. When the reality is “all hope is not lost…”

RISE UP!

This reminds me of a passage in Exodus that I love! We talk about the parting of the Red Sea, but we forget that there would be no parting of the Red Sea if Moses would have just stood around…

"Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. 14 The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”
15 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on. 16 Raise your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea to divide the water so that the Israelites can go through the sea on dry ground. 17 I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they will go in after them. And I will gain glory through Pharaoh and all his army, through his chariots and his horsemen. 18 The Egyptians will know that I am the Lord when I gain glory through Pharaoh, his chariots and his horsemen.”
19 Then the angel of God, who had been traveling in front of Israel’s army, withdrew and went behind them. The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them, 20 coming between the armies of Egypt and Israel. Throughout the night the cloud brought darkness to the one side and light to the other side; so neither went near the other all night long.
21 Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and all that night the Lord drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land. The waters were divided,- Ex 14:13-21

Yes, there are some things we told to be still before the Lord and wait patiently, but sometimes there are other things that God is very clearly saying, “RISE UP!”

What Moses told the people sounds like awesome advice, but it was not what God wanted them to do! “Why are you crying out to me? Move on…”

There are times we need to just stop talking about it, thinking about it, praying it, talking about praying about it, talking to other people about it, and take the steps of faith!

Where is God calling you to action? 

Comments

Popular Posts