You Put A New Song In My Mouth


I will sing a new song to You, O God; Upon a harp of ten strings I will sing praises to You,- Ps 144:9

Lately I’ve been thinking about the beauty of new beginnings. Makes sense givin’ that I am kind of living one…kind of. I guess moving can be considered a new beginning. But since January the word “new” has been the theme of this year it seems...for me personally. I felt the Lord speak it into my heart that he was doing a new thing. 


I needed to not dwell on old history; He was making a way through the wilderness. He making good from the bad. He was redeeming and restoring. Making things new!

I am seeing this come true not only in my circumstances but in my friendships, my family, my church, and myself.

But there was been one thought playing like a broken record in my heart and my head since yesterday, and it is this: “Worship is not about knowing all the words.”

I don't about you, but I LOVE when new music come out. There is no greater joy than downloading some new songs on my phone or iPod. I love when I have a bunch of new songs I get to listen to over and over again, or when friends introduce me to new bands,music or artists. I don't think I'm weird for liking that, I think most people enjoy a new song to jam out to. 

But for some reason...we don't always think that can apply at Church?


Maybe it’s a generational thing were people want /feel they need to already know every word to the songs that are played on Sunday for them to be able to worship. Maybe it’s not a generational thing!?

Being raise in Atlanta I had the joy of being raised under/in the Passion movement…so new songs were a given. Whether it be: 7|22, Big Stuf, NorthPoint, Passion Conference, my own church KFBC, or another camp...etc I was use to being introduced to new worship music, and I LOVED IT! 

So it surprises/is hard for me to understand why people have a hard time worshiping because they didn't know the songs...

Why? Because of this very verse...

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in him. Ps 40:3

That's why church/bands like: Hillsong LIVE/UNITED/YOUNG & FREE come out with a new Album ever other week. 

Then people make comments like, didn’t they just release one? 

Yeah, they did and God is still alive and moving and working and speaking a fresh word if we will listen.

There is nothing wrong with singing songs we all know. Those powerful songs of our faith in Jesus. I love when my favorite(s) worship song are played at church...we all do.

But we can’t get to just stand there like a bump on a log because we don’t know the words on the screen. Knowing the word doesn’t mean you’re worshiping…it just means…you know the words. You can read! YAY!  Congrats. Thats a good thing, being able to read and all, but it doesn't mean you're worshipping. 

It's important for people to able to see the words on screens and all that jazz, but do you get what I'm putting down here? Lol 

 It’s whether or not you or I even mean what we are saying/singing.

There are songs that come on the radio that I know all the words because they play the same song one hundred million times….so I am bound to know it…whether I want to or not sometimes…Lol. Been there? 

I am speaking to me here, by the way, I never point a finger that I’m not pointing three back at myself. If something I say steps on your toes please know it hit me upside the head first. ;)

But, the simple yet powerful fresh word on my heart the last few days is simply what I mentioned earlier, “Worship is not about knowing all the words on the screen or even in the hymnal.”

Worship is a sacrifice of praise. Worship is bowing your heart before God and giving him the praise, honor and glory He deserves. When we worship God in spirit and in truth, we bless him! Let that settle on you for a second. Our worship blesses the heart of God when it comes from a genuine and truthful place. Genuine and truthful may mean you don't know every word...and thats okay. It probably bothers you more that you don't know every word WAY more than it does God. 

So if you ever find yourself in a service and you don’t know the words, I challenge you to listen. Close your eyes and listen to words. That at times as been some of the best worship for me--to just listen to the words, then try and sing them. Allow those words to be a prayer, a declaration in faith, worship.

We all express our worship differently, but never let not knowing the lyrics hold you back. Also, it may challenge you to go digging for music and you may find yourself having a whole new collection of tunes to listen to that points your head and heart to Jesus; as before maybe you just had a few songs here and there that you knew because they played them at church at least twice a month.

God can speak to us through music. Don’t let lyrics become a distraction from what God wants to do in that moment in your heart and in mine.

I know the Lord is forever doing a new thing in me, and I hope in you too. We are all a work in progress. Because the Lord is always doing a fresh and new work, whether we realize it or not, old songs can become new, verses we've read 100 times suddenly can become 3D as God speaks in a fresh way through His living word. And often time, there is nothing better than a new song of praise on our lips, a fresh song to lift us up. Like a cold glass of water on a hot day. 

Turn off all the voices that seem to scream for your attention all day and night, and lets listen to THE ONE and Worship THE ONE! JESUS 

Comments

Popular Posts