making a way


Have you ever had something show up over and over again?

Maybe it was song—that every time you turned on the radio you heard the same song. Maybe it was a name, or phrase, or verse of scripture that seems to pop up everywhere you turn.

Well, that has been happening to me since Jan 1st…maybe even before that.

“Stop going over old history, I am making a way in the wilderness…see I am doing a new thing.”

I teared up a few weeks ago when visiting Elevation Church and that was the verse we read to kick off the worship experience, because I had become a kind of promise that I felt God was making to me personally.

That he was doing something new!

Let me break this verse down, and I hope that it encourages you as it does me.

“Stop going over old history…” –MSG
            I’ll admit I am the worst and playing something over and over again in my head. I want to talk about it over and over again. But that is not the way that we forgive people, move on from past pain, and allow God to heal. Yes, we need to honest and talk things out that need to be talked about but once the matter has been settled, let it go, forgive and move on. Don’t get going over it again and again. Let the past be in the past.

“I am making a way in the wilderness, streams of water in the wasteland..”
            This maybe my favorite part of the verse—it’s a reminder that God takes everything the enemy mean to harm and uses it for our good and His glory. Also, he takes our own mistakes, sin, regret, hurts (whether we’ve been hurt or hurt others), pain, seasons that seem dry or wasted, and God is making a way.

Nothing is wasted. Sometimes we get so caught up in the past hurt, or pain, or regret that we forget to look up and notice that God is making a way through all that. He is doing a new thing. There is not point to keep relieving something we can’t do anything about.

“I am doing something new. Don’t you see it?”

            Jesus makes all things new. ALL THINGS! You name it and He can restore it.  Restore doesn’t mean that it will be exactly as it was, but that God can make something beautiful out it.

I have this new show that I am addicted too, its called  “Rehab Addict.”
It absolutely blows my mind what this woman is about to make out of absolute filth, to be honest.  But when all the work is done, the result is something that is breathtakingly beautiful.

She can see beauty in things most people cannot. What it love is when she finds something from the original home and refinishes it and uses it in the home. That is actually what she tries to do. In most cases she is trying to gut the entire home, but she looks for little things from the original, shines it up, and uses it.

I think of situations in my life when all felt hopeless, and God will give me these little moments of hope--small glimpses to remind me that not all is lost.

I had a dream just last night, it was a simple dream, but a friend of mine and I were on the beach laughing. Not a big deal to you maybe, but the dream felt so real…but that dream gave me hope that one day we will be able to look back and laugh about all this. God is going to bring something so beautiful out of the brokenness—something neither of us could ever imagine.

That is our God.

This verse in Isa. 43 is both a command to me this year and a promise.

Stop going over old history {command}. I’m making a way in the wilderness, streams in the wasteland {promise}. I am doing a new thing. Don’t you see it? {hope} 

Comments

Popular Posts