Sparks Fly


As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. – Proverbs 27:17


Curled up on my couch, with a cup of coffee not too far out reach, I can finally finish writing what I started a few weeks ago. What God showed me through this verse was burning in my heart so much so that I had to walk out of the office, sit down and write what was on my heart so that I could actually get some work done. My heart wasn’t going to be at rest until I put my figures to the keys and wrote out what God was teaching me. 

Fights are worthy having. Not fighting with people, but fighting for people and relationships.

The verse above (Prov. 27:17) has been coming to mind here and there a lot lately. A few nights ago it burned in my heart and mind as I prayed for direction and clarity in a situation. I knew it was God!!!

Have you ever had those moments when you look up and see a theme in your life? Maybe it’s a word, a verse, song, saying/quote, a place, a person(s), a topic…etc but it seems like God is doing cartwheels in front of you?When I begin seeing a pattern of something I like to say, “I think God is trying to make a point.” I may not always know what that point is, but I at least know He is trying to get my attention...so I best listen. 

That’s what it’s been like for me lately.

The word/theme for me has been “Perseverance.”

It’s been everywhere in one-way or another.

As I was ready through Ps 27,verse 17 jumped off the page at me in a way it never had before. It burned in my heart as I read it over and over again. As I laid in bed that night after reading, a few things came to mind that I had never thought of before. I knew it was the Holy Spirit guiding me and once again encouraging me to persevere through this particular trial—one that I would much rather just throw my hands in the air, in defeat, over.

What I found interesting was before “iron can sharpen iron…” each piece must first be created and shaped. If you have ever seen a demonstration video on iron or metal making you already know that it has to be put through the fire. Fire softens the metal so that the blacksmith can mold it into the shape he wants. The sharpening is so that the object is shinny and sharp; ready to do what it was created to do.

But, there is something that happens in the process of iron being sharpened that we all know, but probably don’t give a second thought too-- the sparks that fly. 

Normally that phrase is in relation to “romance” but it can apply in almost all relationships. There is always that first meeting with someone. Most of the time, in one way or another, “sparks fly.” Maybe they were good sparks, maybe they were bad “sparks” but either way...sparks flew.  

In this case I want to think about how sparks fly in a good way. You hit it off with someone really well, you connect, have things in common, you are simply drawn to someone—sparks!

Sparks are “typically” the fun part. That’s the stuff (if you’re a girl) that keeps you up at night on the phone giggling with your friends. It’s what keeps you coming back—that “spark.”

 You get the idea.

But, then there are the not so “fun” sparks that can fly between friends/family/couples. The kind that come after being rubbed up against each other. “As Iron Sharpens Iron…” sounds good, but honestly there are moment that the actual sharpening process is painful. 

For a piece of iron to become it’s best it has to rub up against another. We are to help make each other better, but sometimes the process can be painful.


In James is says to persevere (James 1:2-4)
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

Maybe in the immediate meeting “sparks flew” but now maybe you  find “sparks flying” but not the good kind all the time.

There is defiantly some sharpening happening.

It may hurt at times, and there have been moments I haven’t prayed about certain situations because when I do I am reminded of the call to persevere, when I’d rather just ignore or avoid whatever it is all together.

But when I come before God, venting my frustrations and hurt, yet again, my heart and mind burn with the reality that yes, “sparks fly,” and that the actual sharpening can be painful at times, and not always easy, but the results are worth it.





 

 



Comments

Popular Posts