A Season of Change


Curled up on my couch I listened as my dad told me that he was taking a job in Milledgeville. I was shocked to say the least. I sat there trying to form words, but very few came out.
Now, that move may seem random to you but it’s really not that out of the blue. My whole family is from Macon. I grew up going back and fourth most of my life to Macon and Milledgeville.  My dad and step-mom simply wanted to move closer to family since their parents (my grandparents) are getting older; so they just want to be close by. I was thinking this move would be taking place in a fear YEARS not a few MONTHS!

My dad’s upcoming move just added to the number of people whom I knew, or knew of, that were moving.

There are seasons where every time I’d turn around someone was “in a relationship” “engaged” or “married” and more now “having babies.” But this was an all-together new season!!! Literally. New in beginnings, for many, but also just a season I had never really gone through were it seemed everyone was moving somewhere new, and I don’t just mean down the block. I mean, people moving STATES a way from the places they call home.

For some reason about a month ago or so I had really sensed the Holy Spirit speaking this one word over my heart. It was the word, “new.”

I would usually would senses that word in my spirit when I was either thinking about or praying about a certain situation. So I reasoned that God was about to do a new thing in this particular situation—believing him for full restoration.

But, I am finding that maybe the Lord didn’t just mean “new” for me. He was doing something new in many peoples lives. A season of fresh starts and new beginnings.



See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.- Isaiah 43:19

Maybe it’s just a new season you stepping into: new school year, new school (college, high school, middle school…etc), new job, new house

Maybe for you its seeing God take a season that was painful, a “wasteland, a desert” and God is “making a way.” He giving you purpose from the pain, you’re beginning to see how God is using this for your good and his glory. He is making a way for you in your desert, or maybe He already made the way and you’re on the other side celebrating!

Maybe you’re moving (like my dad) states away, a town or two or three a way, maybe just down the road…regardless how far you’d still categorize what you’re doing as moving…and that brings with it’s own level of mixed emotions. Not just for the one moving but the ones who are having to say goodbye.

Maybe you’re newly married or parents for the first time.

Regardless of where you find yourself, God is on the move. He is doing a new thing in so many peoples lives. My prayer is that we would be expectant!!!

I love the question in (Isaiah 43:19) “do you not perceive it?”

Do you not see that God is doing a NEW thing, and we should be excited and expectant!

After finding out about that my dad was doing to be moving, a long with what felt like the rest of the world, I had a little bit of meltdown shall we say on the phone with my best friend.

It felt like everyone was moving on (literally) but me.

I was overwhelmed. I couldn't take anymore people moving--everyone just stay put!!! After some tears and counseling from my best friend, I laid my head down, prayed, and with a headache went to bed. The next few days that followed I began to find peace in my season.

Yes, I had been working at the same job for 6 years, but what a blessing it has been. I get to love on little 6 year olds everyday. There I days I feel more loving than others, but it’s reminding myself of the ministry I have in front of me everyday in those 20 six year olds.

I also have been blessed to be apart of a dynamic and anointed girls ministry. Being able to be apart of a team of ladies who share a vision to see girls grow in their relationship with Christ, but even more than that see a Conference (that the Lord laid on many of our hearts) come to life—was and continues to be a miracle. I’m just grateful to be apart. I feel sometimes like I’m riding the wave of what so many of these many spent years building. But, the Lord ALONE sustains what is His. So I’m blessed and honored to be apart.

Once I began to remind myself that where I am and all that I have been able to do have been answers to prayers, my heart turns from being filled with self-pity to thankfulness.

God seems to be brings some new changes my way as well, am I am excited. But, I didn’t want to just speak to those are in season of new beginnings, but to those who feel like they are doing the same ole’ thing, in the same ole’ place…
 
“So let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith.”- Gal 6:9-10 (message)

The best advice I ever heard on this topic of learning to be content where God has you, is something I heard worship leader Christy Nockels say at a women’s event I attended years ago, but it was just want I needed then and there have been many times the Lord brings those words to my remembrance.

“Learn to bloom where you are planted. When you out grow the pot God has planted you, he will uproot you and put you in a bigger one, when you out grow that one he’ll put you in a even bigger one. But it’s learning to bloom where He has planted you.”

Bigger can mean a lot of different things. It doesn’t always necessarily mean more or larger or maybe it can. It can simply mean just new or different.

But I have learned the hard way, that the key to blooming where you are planted is stop striving.

Ps 46:10 (NASB)
 Cease striving and know that I am God

Just resting in God, sitting at Jesus’ feet, and pursuing Him with all your heart, soul and mind is the key. Simply be open to go where the Lord would want you to go, but also be content and trust, and stay were He wants you to stay.  

Regardless of were you fall, I truly believe that God is on the move and doing something new! 

I find it fitting that during a season where the colors of the leaves begin to change, seems to also be period of time (at least in my life) that is also bringing with it lots of changes. Fall is one of my favorite seasons, but if I let God do what He wants do in this season...this season of changes could turn out of be one of my favorite seasons. I don't know about you, but sometimes I just need some season that are less about learning lessons and more about just being refreshed and seeing God do a new and fresh work in and around me. haha 

Praying that I will, and I hope you will too, will sit back and enjoy the changes that are happening all around us. Just as me stand and marvel at God creation during fall as the leaves change and the weather  on some days is simply perfection, may be also be in awe of  the Lord as we look at all changes happening around us, in our own lives, and those we love.


Change really can be a beautiful thing 

Comments

Jessie N said…
I love this! I definitely can relate to this. It's so hard for me to feel like I've found my place, but I know God has me where he needs me for this season, and instead of trying to jump ahead, I need to thrive here. Thank you for writing this!

Popular Posts