Just Drive Straight


Let your eyes look straight ahead,fix your gaze directly before you. –Prov 4:25 (NIV)

 I love a good road trip.It is always way more fun going to wherever it is you are headed that it is going home; at least it is for me.  Just here recently I go back from a trip to Florida. I had been asked to speak at a girls’ conference in Starke, Florida and excited didn’t begin to describe the anticipation I had leading up to the weekend! While I was down there I not only was going to get to pour into a bunch of girls, but also spend time with friends. The weekend was full of answered prayers and watching God move in such a powerful way in the lives of the girls and leaders that attended. Nothing compares to being in the middle of a move of God.
I was not looking forward to the drive back to Atlanta for a number of reasons, but as I was driving home I remember at some point along the way hearing my GPS say: “stay on 75-North for 210 miles.” I knew this was the time to settle in and crank up the music, because I wasn’t going to be doing anything else but driving straight on 75-North for the next 3 or 4 hours. My GPS gave me no further instructions other than what do in that moment. 
I have found that the Holy Spirit works a lot like a GPS. In her book Discerning the Voice of God Priscilla Shirer says this: “John 16:13 paints the picture of the Holy Spirit as a “guide,” one who gives continuous direction on a need-to-know basis. “He will guide you into all truth.” the Holy Spirit doesn’t give us all His direction upfront and then leave us alone to sort everything out. Rather, He can be trusted to tell us everything we need to know for now, and then to continually update His instructions as we step out in faith and obedience.” Elisabeth Elliot, has said, “One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was, ‘Do the next thing.”
Half the fun of a road trip is the journey. The destination is always a moving target, because once you get what it is you are waiting on, guess what...you will be waiting on something else. Instead of worrying about what 5 years down the road “may” or “may not” hold fix your gaze on Christ and be faithful with what He has asked you to do right now. All you need to know right now…you know! “If God can’t trust you with what you have right now he can’t trust you with anything else."- Louie Giglio

Comments

Popular Posts