Chosen

I remember growing up my dad bought me these animated Bible story movies on (VHS). I officially feel old. I had a student ask me once “what is a VHS?” Oh boy, anyway, my dad bought me these movies and I would watch them over and over again in my room.Hands down though,my favorite movie to watch was the one about Esther. I still remember the main verse that they quoted in the movie, and it comes from Esther 4:14 “for who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this.” That verse would stick with me throughout the years, and as I have grown in my relationship with Christ and learned that my true identity is in Christ...Esther 4:14 has taken on a whole new meaning to me and I hope it will to you as well.

It says in 1 Peter 2:9 “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” In Christ we take on a new identity as children of light. Marian Jordan in her book “Radiant” says this: “To be a member of the royal priesthood of God is not about a vocation or wardrobe; it is a title that means we are the privileged ones who have access into His very presence. No longer are we excluded because of sin; we have a “back stage pass,” so to speak, into the very throne room of God.”p.34.

Esther was chosen by the King. Not only was she chosen, but truly was placed in the position she was in not for her own benefit, but for her people. A time was going to come that she did not yet know about when she was going to be called upon to show great courage, and risk her very life to save her people. All she knew in that moment was that she was chosen. But, God had a plan and a reason for her winning favor with the King.

It says in Psalm 139:16 “All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.” Esther was not chosen to be a royal by “chance,” neither were you or I. There is a reason that you and I were born during this time on the Kingdom calendar, in this particular generation. It is not an accident. God ordained your birth. God is a Sovereign God; all-knowing, all- powerful, all-present. You did not find Christ, Christ found you. He chose you. He sought you out and called you by name (Isaiah 43:1). You and I can now take on our identities as part of a Royal Priesthood in Christ, for who knows but that we have been chosen for this royal position for such a time as this on the Kingdom Calendar.

I smile as I think back to those days lying in my room between two twin beds staring up at the T.V and watching the story of Esther unfold before my very eyes, over and over and over again. Never would I have imagined that I would be able to say the same thing one day about myself “that I have come to royal position for such a time as this.” God is the one who chose you. We did not go out looking for this kind of divine favor, it found you, and it found me.

Comments

Popular Posts