I never thought...

I never thought I was doing anything different or unusual. Just what He had asked me to do. – Katie Davis “Kisses from Katie”

“Teach the younger women how to live…” Titus 2:4

I remember the moment when everything changed for me. I remember the summer when my eyes and mind were open to what girls’ ministry was.

It was the summer of 2010 and I was working camp as usual. This was my second summer working as a Camp Counselor for Hide and Seek Day Camp; a Christian based outdoor adventure camp. My first week of camp I had the most amazing group of 7 year old girls one could imagine. By the middle of the week I was head over heels in love with each of them. The last day of camp one of the girls gave me what I believe to be a Christmas ornament in the shape of a “B.” It was metal and had Cheetah print on it. Our team name that week was “The Cheetahs” so it was appropriate. I still have it in my car today hanging from my rearview mirror. 


 Also, at the end of that same week one of the girls in my group ,Emma, was off crying to the side during dismissal time with her mom. I walked over to her and knelt down in front of her to see what was wrong. She threw her arms around my neck and cried, and then I started crying; she didn’t want to leave. My heart broke as I watched her and her mom leave camp that day, because I also knew her story. Although she had very loving parents she came from a ,very recent, broken-home. I know the pain. I was not much older than her when my parents divorced, and I know the scars it leaves no matter how great the situation or how easy parents try and make the split on the kids, its painful.

At some point during that summer I remember the light-bulb coming on . Girls Ministry is not just middle school and High School girls…as much as I dearly love them. Girls ministry is just what is sounds like ministering to girls. I felt the Lord whisper that girls need to hear about Him just as much at 5 as 15. They are just as much girls at 5 as they are at 15.

At that moment my desire to reach this generation made TOTAL since. I had been wrestling with it since Passion 2010. Having a passion to minister to teen girls, but being an Early Education major and loving kids. That summer the Lord put it all together for me. Girls Ministry is a global thing. 


I love nothing more that gathering together in a room with a bunch or Middle School or High School girls to study God’s Word and giggle about boys, but my heart also breaks for the orphans, the girls caught in Sex slavery, (Sex trafficking, can I just be honest with you, makes me sick; and if I can be even more frank pisses me off. Sorry just had to say it) I want to be part of reaching this generation, and my part I feel in that is reaching this generation of girls with message of Jesus Christ. My desire is to teach the younger women how to live and see them go out and live out their callings…but I also want to beside them in the work.

Most Thursday mornings I hangout at my church, First Baptist Church of Canton. I recently have been getting pulled in unplanned meetings with Chris (our youth pastor) about D-Now or something else ( but I love it), but normally my goal in being up there is to hang out with Candace, our girls ministry director and just talk with her. She has quickly over the last year become very much a mentor, and so I try and soak up as much as I can from her whenever possible.

This past Thursday Candace, Sydney (Our student ministry intern), and I were making poster for Orphan awareness Sunday. As we were talking I mentioned that back in the day my youth pastor did something for High School students called “student internship” during the summer when I was growing up at Kennesaw First Baptist. I was able to do it one summer, but basically it is learning the not so glamorous side of ministry. Learning the behind the scenes stuff, the stuff no body sees and in some cases knows about.

Candance then said something I just loved, she said; “until you know how to be behind the scenes  you have no business being up in front.”

Which brings me back to wanting  to train girls to go out and lead and impact their generation for the glory of God, but I want to beside them in the work. If I am not being obedient to what I know God has called me to do as believer as well, I have NO BUSINESS standing in front on those girls each Sunday and telling them anything.

This past Sunday Night Jenna (one of the Bible Teachers at Pillars) said “your walk needs to follow your talk.”  

Girls ministry was never anything I thought was really that different until I started talking to people and telling them what I wanted to do with my life. That’s when I get the funny looks and questions. Girls Ministry? Whats that? Why that? How will you make a living? “But I never thought I was doing anything different or unusual. Just what He had asked me to do.”? 

Comments

Popular Posts