Big Prayers. Big God!

"Common sense is not faith, and faith is not common sense." -Oswald Chamber 

As I lay in bed in disbelief at the end of another beautifully exhausting day, I  marveled with God at the “impossible” things that happen in my life. And  I realized, when have you ever read a story of God’s great work that made a lot of sense, a story that didn’t  seem a little over the top, a little impossible? Not often. Radiacal, extraordinary love just doesn’t make sense in a fallen world, that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. But it is the very nature of God. Moses parted the Red Sea, and I bet people thought , “No way this is happening!” Noah spent 120 years building an ark and I bet people thought he was crazy. When Joshua went to Jericho, God told him to march around the city once each day for six days and seven times on the seventh day with seven priests blowing trumpets made of rams horns. I bet Joshua didn’t think that made much sense. I bet Abraham didn’t think it made a whole lot of sense when God asked him to kill the son through whom He had promised to send nations. Jesus told his disciples to pass out five loaves of bread and two fish to over five thousand people and I bet they looked at Him like he was crazy! Later, Jesus told Peter to walk to Him on the water through the storm and I know that Peter was a afraid.

We read these stories and think they are awesome examples of God’s amazing power and love and yet sometimes we don’t really believe they could still be possible. We think that maybe Moses, Abraham, Joshua, Noah, or the disciples had something we don’t. But I don’t think that is true; God is the same yesterday, today and always. And we are all created in His image This means that all these impossible things could just as easily happen for us too!! Radical, different, extraordinary….They still exist!

Here is the thing: I want big things from God. We want big things from God and then think it’s strange when He asks us to build an ark, or feed five thousand or march around a building for seven days with seven priests blowing trumpets made from rams’ horns. I am asking for big things from God. So really, I am not surprised at the craziness of my life. Every morning, as I wake up with some impossible task in front of me, I know that God will meet it with impossible strength and love. I serve the God who used Moses, a murderer, to part the Red Sea, a God who let Peter, who would deny Him, walk on water. I serve a God who when Joshua prayed that the Sun would stand still, stopped time. A God who looks at me, in my fallen weakness and says, “You can do the impossible.” - Kisses From Katie: A story of Relentless Love and Redemption

Comments

Popular Posts