{The Master of Ceremonies}

So excited that yesterday I was able to finally get my hands on my new friend Marian Jordan’s newsiest book “The Girlfriends Guidebook: Navigating Female Friendships.” I am already on Chapter six and I started it last night; I always tare through her books. They are so good! But, there is something she said in Chapter two that I loved and have also come see and believe as well in my own life, and so I thought I would share. She is relating it to female friendships, but I think that it can relate to any friendship(guy or girl) and relationships(romantic).Below is an excerpt from “The Girlfriends Guidebook: Navigating Female Friendships” by: Marian Jordan

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights.” (James 1:17 NIV)


Now that we’ve defined friendship, lets’ consider why God gave us this gift. After all, He certainly didn’t have to. Yet in His infinite goodness He did. God hardwired us for friendship. He placed in our hearts the desire for these relationships and the ability to form them. More important, in His wonderful sovereignty, the Lord orchestrates and weaves life’s together so that two individuals will cross paths and from that point forward walk together as friends. C.S Lewis observed this truth by saying


“We think we have chosen our peers. In reality, a few years’ difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one University instead of another, posting to different regiments, the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting—any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking, no chances. A secret Master of Ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “Ye have not chosen me, but I chosen you,” can truly say to every group of Christian friends, “You have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another.”

Recalling the various moments God used to introduce me to the women who are my closest friend, I am awed by His handiwork. He actually has employed everything from boy crushes to Bible study classes, shared cubicles, and a shared love for Mexican food. He knew that I would need each one of these amazing women in my life in order to fulfill His purpose, and vice versa.


I have come to realize that friendships of all kinds are not accidental or coincidental. God is extremely purposeful in all He does and wastes absolutely nothing. He has a purpose for our friendships. He places people in our path for seasons and lifetimes for a reason only fully known in His all-knowing and all-loving nature. Lewis perfectly describes this involvement by comparing God to a secret Master of Ceremonies at work who chooses us for one another.

Comments

Popular Posts