1 Timothy 4:12

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.  1 Tim 4:12
As sit here in my “study cave” studying and prepping to teach Bible study ,this coming sunday, I can’t help but think about the one women God has used in my life since I was 12 years old who has probably made one of the biggest impacts on my life and is one of the reasons why I am so passionate about ministering to this generation of young ladies. Even to this day whenever I share with her the impact shes' made in my Iife I can't help but tear up.
We met for coffee a few months ago after I got home from Florida. As I filled her in on the past weeks activities and the upcoming ones like: Pillars Girls Conference-- I couldn’t express to her  enought how she had a hand, a large hand might I add, in me being the very women I am today and doing the very things I am doing today.
Melanie at the time I met her was 16 years old, and junior in high school. Not only is she beautiful but one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. Back in the day, at Kennesaw First Baptist, our Sunday Nights for Youth were called “Power Hour” and during that time Middle School and High School would combine for a worship service and our Youth Pastor, Jay, would preach. I was very blessed to grow up in an amazing student ministry; probably one of the reasons why I still have such a passion for youth and special place in my heart for youth pastors to this day. But, one Sunday night I remember all the middle school girls sitting towards the back of the youth room, and Melanie just decided to walk up and start talking to us. Since that Sunday she would make the effort to  walk up to us (middle school girls) and just give us a hug and ask how our weeks were. Nothing major, but it was major to us.
When Melanie graduated High School , Jay (our youth pastor), hired Melanie and Jimmy (another HS graduate)as youth ministry interns. One of their jobs was to teach Middle School Bible Study on Wednesday Night. Melanie would take the girls and Jimmy would take the guys. If there are two things I still remember Melanie drilling into us it was Psalm 139 (I can still quote it to this day thanks to her…haha), and the beauty of purity and waiting on God.
This was a girl,mind you, who was beautiful,crowned Prom Queen,popular, president of FCA (she would NEVER tell you that so I am gonna brag on her for a minute so that you understand this is a girl who could have at the snap of a figure had a boyfriend) but made the decision at a very young age to wait on God for who He had for her to marry. It was more than “don’t have sex until you get married” for her.  It was the desire to be able to give her heart, her whole heart, to only one guy. What I love is that God answered that prayer and desire of her heart. She is married,has two beautiful children,and they do ministry side by side (just thought I would add that her husband is Jimmy).haha

But, I share all that with you to tell you that LONG before she was married and a mother she was a single young lady who was just crazy in love with Jesus and wanted to minister to young ladies. Her love for the Lord and his Word and her passion to pour into us younger girl made in impact on me I don’t think, to this day I have gotten over. I wanted to have the same impact on the lives of girls that Melanie had on me. Her love for Jesus and the Word of God, her faithfulness to her future husband before she even set eyes on him,and her heart for ministry left a mark on me.
As I sit here and study, pray, and write/type out this Bible Study I can’t help have tears of joy fill my eyes, and heart swell with gratitude as I think she has a hand in ALL of this (girls ministry). Yes, ultimately it’s God who has given me these opportunities and apart from Him I can do nothing. But, He has used Melanie's investment in me for over 12 years now in an indescribable way. She is one of the reasons I am doing what I am doing. It might as well be her writing/typing this Bible Study...shes' the one who taught me how to prepare and teach a Bible Study in the first place. I will stand before the 40+ girls I will have the blessings of serving Sunday because of her impact and continued investment!

NEVER, NEVER, EVER underestimate your impact on the next generation….DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES let someone look down or tell you that you can't make a difference because you are young, but set an example!Lead the way! You never know who is watching, listening and learning from you!

Comments

Popular Posts