Don't judge the swimsuit...

(1 Sam 16:7, NLT) But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”


As my friend Brittany and I always say at camp, you can find spiritual application anywhere. Well today was no exception. I was taking a much needed study break from studying Calculus, one can only look at numbers so long, and went to target to walk around and grab a Starbucks. I went to get some hair color and stuff to do my nails; having a degree in cosmetology comes in handy…I can do my hair and nails on a budget, but of course I can’t go to target and not do a walk through the close and shoes. While looking at close I had Florida on the brain, since I will be headed South in a few weeks, so naturally I head to the swimsuits. I decided to try a few on ,more to kill time, not so much planning to buy one. I grabbed one that I normally would just pass by and not give a second glance, but for some reason this evening I decided to try it on; I figured it never hurts to at least try it on.


I went in the dressing room and began to try on swimsuit after swimsuit, then it came time to try on the read- halter-one-piece that I would have normally passed up. Once it was on,to my surprise, I LOVE IT!! I REALLY, REALLY LOVE IT! I didn’t want to take it off, but I knew that I was going to have to so that I could leave the store without being tackled by police officers. When I got home I immediately went up stairs and told my mom, being a women she understands the rare find that a good fitting swimsuit is and told me that since Tuesday is my birthday to go ahead and get it. I could hardly believe it. I did not go to target to #1 buy anything other than hair color. I certainly had not planned on walking out of the store with a desire to purchase a swimsuit.

I didn’t hit me until just a few minutes ago how much that sanrio reminded me of the age old saying “never judge a book by its cover” or as Justin Beiber would say “never say never.” I read a blog the other day and something the blogger said came to the forefront of my mind….all I can say is that as I read her blog all I kept thinking the whole time was “PREACH GIRL, PREACH!!!”

ME CENTERED SPOUSE HUNTING

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly perverse and corrupt and severely, mortally sick! Who can know it [perceive, understand, be acquainted with his own heart and mind]?"


Anything we do “in the flesh” that comes natural to us, will end up in ruin, because our motives will always be self-serving. So, it is not terribly shocking that we have taken something that God created…relationships between people and husband/wife and turned them away from being a God thing…and turned them into a “me thing.”

What are the selfish reasons we enter relationships?
How can this make me happy?
How can this fulfill me, complete me?
How can this fill a need in me?
How can this keep me from being lonely?
How can this make me feel like I’m loved?
God says in Colossians 3:10 that we are to do EVERYTHING in life with God’s glory, not our glory in mind. God says that relationships are supposed to be all about Him…not us. Yet, every one of us has to admit that our relationships are seldom about anyone else besides ourselves! When considering that Christ’s last prayer was for unity…there seems to be something TERRIBLY wrong with this!


 If women were really looking for a one-day marriage that brought God honor and glory, we would not be running after this illusion of romance and love that we are so bent on obtaining.


Running after a feeling, after the drama of a relationship means we are pursuing our own selfish fulfillment. If we were looking at a man the way Christ looks at him…and that’s only at HIS HEART, our motives and desires would be different.


(1 Sam 16:7, NLT) But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for [a]God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”


God says He does not look at the things we look at…He looks at the heart. Many of you are passing up a church full of Godly men because they are not good looking enough or wooing you off your feet. They are not making you have goose bumps and hot flashes. They aren’t making you weak in the knees.One day God is going to judge your husband according to the way He loved you. And do you know what God says husband-love is?


First, let me tell you what it is not.
It is not a love that brings you flowers or remembers your birthday. That’s nice…and praise God, it happens…but that’s not it.It’s not a love that makes you feel silly and goofy.
That’s nice…and praise God, sometimes it happens, but that’s not it either.
It’s not a love that makes you “feel” anything.
It’s a love that makes you “look” like something.
Jesus.


God says that your husband is supposed to love you in one way…with a sanctifying kind of love. Wow! Let's break it down: God is love. Lost people do not even know how to love if they don't know God. So, anything that lost people think about love is probably WRONG and distorted.


If we are running after the "love" that we paid $7 to see on the big screen, we are running after a lie...an illusion.And, if after seeing those movies, we find ourselves depressed and unsatisfied, it's because we have just fed our flesh a big plate of trash!


Here is what God says about love:
In Ephesians 5, God says husband love is judged in ONE WAY…did our husband present us as a radiant bride, without spot or blemish? Did he hold you accountable to God’s Word even when you were ugly and unteachable? Did he do it even when it made you mad?Most of you are running after a love that amounts to nothing. If you are looking for a man who will always make you feel good about yourself, you’re running after a pansy of a man!


Why do you think you need to be in a relationship?
Is it because you desperately want someone to hold you accountable to God’s Word so you can grow even more in your relationship with Christ? Or is it because you are lonely, you want a romance rush, or you want someone to make you feel some way you aren’t feeling right now? Remember...we've already settled that those are GOD'S jobs...and He is a pro at what He does.


Are your motives selfish or God-centered?
Marriage is about God taking two people who are busy bringing Him glory with their lives independently and making them one flesh for His glory. Your oneness with your spouse...not how much you giggle...not how good looking you are together...not what beautiful babies you will have...not how great your new last name sounds with your first name....your ONENESS is what will bring God glory."

I passed up the swimsuit many times because it wasn't a style I thought would look good on me, or it just wasn't something I would typically wear. When I went to try it on I certainly did not think I was going to ,and i use this loosey, "fall in love with it." I remember years back having to lay down “my idea” of “my dream guy” and trust God with His best. And God’s best probably won’t be what you expect…but it will be what is best,good, and what you need so that you can live a life for His glory! Don’t judge a book but its cover or judge a swimsuit…haha it just might turn out to be something you fall in love with. ;)

Comments

Popular Posts