Work of Art

“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Eph 2:10


“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place .When I was woven together in the depths of the earth; your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be” Ps 139:13-16

Inspiration really can come from anywhere! As I was sitting at the kitchen table tonight with two of my sisters talking, one of them; Maura, was in the process of sketching a portrait of the "the sisters" as we call ourselves...haha. She probably is one of the most talented people I personally know. Ashlyn and I had just gotten back from a Night of Worship and had grabbed coffee on the way home and were joking about how for some reason coffee brings out the deep and profound thoughts in us, and then suddenly as I was watching Maura draw I began to think; maybe this is exactly what God was doing when he was creating us. Even as she is drawing she has music in her ears and a joy on her face as she draws. She would ,at times, get a serious look on her face as she was getting in the zone and really focusing on what she was doing. Occasionally she would look up and talk with Ash and I and then with a grin say, “Okay, I’m leaving ya’ll again.” And would put her headphones back in her ears and go back to artists land. Even now she has a smile on her face as she is drawing.

I asked Maura what goes through her head during or before she starts creating something and this is what she said…“Ummmm…Well the initial spark could come from anywhere! And I mean anywhere... like something I hear in a song, or the way a blade of grass looks out in the yard. It's crazy! But when I'm actually working on a piece, I will have it mostly planned out in my head. But I do my best quality work when I'm on the phone with somebody, like deep in conversation. Or listening to music. Not actually thinking about the piece and just doing it is when I do my best.”

When Maura is creating something she already knows the end result. She already knows before she even gets started what she wants the painting, drawing, picture…etc to look like when she is finished. She already has the end result in mind as she is creating. She can see the big picture before she even starts. God saw our lives from beginning to end before he even laid the foundation of the earth. As I am writing this I just finished talking to Maura and I asking her to help me understand what goes through an artists mind when they are creating something. I asked her "if an artists said something he/she made was fearfully and wonderfully what does that mean to you…"

Her response was:“Well, fearfully I think of emotion. That a lot of emotion went into making it; that’s why it’s called an emotional outlet. Wonderfully, I would think that meant that a lot of thought and care went into it.” –Maura

What a beautiful thought that as God was making you and I in the secret place there was emotion, much thought and care that went into you and I as he made us. Each detail was thought through. He knew beforehand who he wanted you and I to be, each detail was thought through with love,care, joy, passion…all the emotions you can imagine went into God making us.

We are not accidents. Maura did not accidently make any of these drawings or didn’t accidently create anything that you see. Thought went into each piece. Each piece is unique. She had something different on her mind for each piece. Nothing was by accident. Just like you and I, none of us are accidents. You were created with thought, care and love for a purpose

“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared
in advance for us to do.” Eph 2:10

Comments

Popular Posts