Is HE your delight?

“Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light And your judgment as the noonday. Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. Cease from anger and forsake wrath; Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing. For evildoers will be cut off, But those who wait for the LORD, they will inherit the land.” Ps 37:3-9

Recently God opened my eyes and heart to a new aspect of this verse. I have read this verse 100 times, but for the first time it hit me...what if the verse just said "Delight yourself in the Lord..." not "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart?" Many people love the promise that is attached to it, but what about if it wasn't there?

As I thought about it it hit me....what a gift in and of itself getting to delight in the Lord is. That because of Jesus Christ death and resurrection and by putting our faith in Him we are made right with God. We are now sons and daughter of the Most High God. We can now come before the throne of grace, we can now come before a Holy God, not because of anything we have done, but because of what Jesus did! One of my favorite verses is in Mark 5: 34 "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be free from your suffering." It is only in Christ are we set free!


We focus SO MUCH on the "...desires of your heart..." part of the verse we miss the treasure the "Delight yourself in the Lord..." is. WE GET TO, DELIGHT IN THE LORD!!! Does that blow anyone else’s mind besides mine?!? "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Heb 4:16) We can now, in Christ, approach the throne of grace!

Do you desire Christ more than His gifts? I cannot even begin to explain to you how this has just changed me in the past few weeks. I am blown away by the fact that ONE: I have been given the gift, through Christ, to Delight in the Lord. I mean honestly, that is a gift in and of itself. But then, out of God's goodness, and abounding love he just see fit to give me the desires of my heart to boot! It's about more than this girl can take!!!

Now, as you delight in the Lord your desires change and you begin to desire the Lord's will for your life and so the blessings and desires he pours out he already had stored up, but he just had to get us to a place were our desires lined up with his desires for us! It is just the most mind blowing thing, and just fills me to overflowing with how much God loves us! "Nothing compares to this love burning in my heart"-Hillsong United.

John Piper talked about at Passion 2010 how when God tells us to not have any gods before Him, and to worship Him alone, that we were created for His glory, That is a GIFT IN AND OF ITSELF! When God is asking us to delight in Him it is because He loves us! He knows that he alone can satisfy! He alone fill us, and meets our deepest needs! He is I AM. Whatever you need, HE IS!
So...When God is saying "Delight yourself in the Lord..." what a gift that is in and of itself...but in Your goodness Lord, it doesn't end there as we delight in You, You promise to give us the desires of our hearts!!! I still cannot fully wrap my mind around such goodness, grace and love, but I know it’s true!!! Is HE your delight???

Comments

Popular Posts