Pour out your heart

“Is it over yet? Can I open my eyes? Is this as hard as it gets? Is this what it feels like to really cry?” –Kelly Clarkson


Of all things, on a day when I am not crying I feel impressed to write about crying. I was listening to some music this morning, and of all things was in the mood for some good ole’ Kelly Clarkson. As I listed to her song “Cry” the chorus is a question she is asking in the mists of a circumstance. She is having to pretend everything is alright when it really isn’t and wondering if the pretending that everything is ok when it isn’t is what it really means to cry…cause it almost hurts worse and is more painful then to just go home and  have a good ole’ fashioned cry.

As girls, lord knows we cry. I love this quote “One of the toughest things about being a women is when I find my self getting mad at the people I love and crying over people in commercials.” Is that not the truth. I am reminded of a funny story my friend Melanie told me. One day she walked in the living room and was crying and her husband, Jimmy, asked her what was wrong, and she said, while crying, “I don’t know!!” and Jimmy said “well, when you know let me know.” That just sums us girls up doesn't it. Half the time we don't, REALLY, know why we are crying.

 I always cry, never fails, when I watch Extreme Makeover or any kind of wedding show except Bridezilla, in which case I just get annoyed and change the channel. I can’t handle Brides that thinks its’ all about them. Unless you are marrying yourself there is a groom who is apart of this day as well…its ain’t all about you sweetie! Anyway, this is going to be short and sweet on my end, because I believe the Scriptures speak for themselves. We have to learn to come before God and sometimes just have a good cry. I went to Bible Gateway and typed in “Cry Out” and there were 71 verses that talked about crying out to God. What it makes me think of is honesty. Just be real….that is how over time you build that intimate relationship with the Lord. Tell him everything, the good, bad and ugly. He knows it all already anyway. You can have that ugly cry with God, you know the kind where you can hardly breathe to get a word out. Lay it out there. There is verse after verse about how God comforts us, he heals, restores, redeems, frees, protects…I could go on. God is not going to tell you to stop crying. There is a time for everything…yes, at some point you have to get up, move on, and live life, but that time is different for everyone, and God knows that. He meets us right where we are at; thank goodness. So my challenge or maybe question to you is do you pour your heart out before the Lord, or do you just scratch the surface? The question that Kelly Clarkson was asking herself is one that we can ask too, but maybe in a different way…think about it…once you have poured out your heart and been 100% honest with the Lord….left it all at his feet and you stand up afterward: renewed, refreshed, healed, and covered in grace you can say with a smile on your face, and peace in your heart with a sigh... “ it this what it feels like to really cry?”

Psalm 62:8 “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

Lamentations 2:19“Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin; pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint from hunger at every street corner.”

2 Kings 20:5 “Go back and tell Hezekiah, the ruler of my people, ‘This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the LORD.”

Psalm 6:6-10 “I am worn out from my groaning. All night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes. Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.”

Ps 32:7 “You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.”

Side Note- I wanted to add something after talking to one of my girls about this post. She brought up some great questions that I want to make sure I answer. This is what the Matthew Henry Commentary says pretaining to Ps 62:8 "The good cousel given is to trust wholly in God. We must so trust in him at all times, as not at any time to put that trust in ourselves, or in any creature, which is to be put in him only. Trust in him to guide us when in doubt, to protect us when in danger, to supply us when in want, to strengthen us for every good work. We must lay our wants and our wishes before him, and then patiently submit our wills to his: this is pouring out our hearts. God is a refuge for all who will take refuge in him."  According to Jaminson-Fausset Brown Bible Commentary: pour out your heart is defined as -- give full expression to feeling." Pouring does not always have to mean you are on your floor crying it just means giving or telling the full expression of how you feel to God...whatever it may be. Mad,sad,glad, happy, confused, excited, giddy, anxious, nervous..you name a feeling or emotion...pour it out.
I want to leave you with a song, that I just love by Mercy Me called “Beautiful.” All I can say is as you watch this is: Watch, Listen and Believe that these words are true of our God and true of you and I in Christ!

Comments

Popular Posts