Light up the Sky

It was around 10:30pm and all of a sudden all the power went out in our neighborhood. I called my friend who lives about 10 min away to ask her if it was out where she was, and turns out the electricity was out by her house too. Her whole neighborhood was pitch-black; and the High School near my house, had their power go out…so basically it was a blackout in Cobb County...lol! I have never seen it that dark…it was kind of weird, scary, and cool all at the same time. I grabbed some of the candles in my room, and my sister and lite them and put them in different rooms in the house. I told Kristen I felt like we were in a scene of “Pride and Prejudice.” Lol. But as I was sitting in my room, with one candle burning trying to read, I bet you can imagine what went through my mind? If you guessed, that we are to be lights in this dark world, then you’re right.

This thought came to me after I wrote this. I know it's God because I can not come up with an analogue this good. If you know the verse in John 15 that says "I am the vine and you are the branches, he who abides in me will bear much fruit, but apart from me you can do nothing." Well this analogue is kind of the same idea. We are like the candle and God is the light. Apart from Him we can not shine. A candle can not produce its own light can it? Nope. If you don't light it, all it is, is a ball or square in some cases of wax. But when you light it, oh boy it can light up a whole room. But it has to be get the light from the light source. We have to stay connected to Jesus to shine for him in this dark world. If we are going to shine like stars, we have to stay connect to the source of our light, Jesus Christ.

Tonight I was printing out some study guides for class and listening to music and the song “Light Up the Sky” by: The Afters came on. It has become, recently, one of my new favorite songs. Once I was done printing I wanted to go look up all the different verses that say something about light in the darkness. There are 55 verses that reference something about light in the darkness. As I read some of the verses this thought came to mind. For some of you this may be a, uhhh well duh Brittney moment, but it opened my eyes. We always talk about how we are to be the lights in this dark world. Well, Christ is the light, and it is only when he is shining through us that we can shine for His glory; It always goes back to Him; Christ Jesus being the Light of the World. It is ALL ABOUT HIM!

On Friday Mornings I meet with a group of about 5 girls. We range from ages 19-28, but I absolutely LOVE those Friday Mornings, I don’t know what I would do without my small group. I love those girls so much! We are starting the Daniel study by Beth Moore, and at the end of the video last week Beth said something that was so refreshing. She said, “is it OK if over these next 11 weeks we don’t come here looking to hear more about us, but come to learn more about Jesus?” How many times do we make Bible Study about us and not about just learning, and growing in the knowledge of our God, and as a result falling more in love with Him! My friend Megan said something that morning that I loved, she said “You hear people say all the time, oh, that was a word from the Lord that I need to do…A,B and C. Sometimes God just wants you to learn more about Him. That’s it.” I say all that to say, that sometimes we talk about how “WE” need to be lights in this dark world, which I agree with, I spend a whole summer talking and teaching about John 8:12. But how do we expect to be lights if we are not seeking, delighting in, and getting to know THE LIGHT, Jesus Christ, and as we become more satisfied in Him, He is glorified in our lives.Only then can we shine His light. If you are not seeking first the Kingdom of God how do you expect to be a light?


The song "Light up the Sky" talks about how Christ is our Light in the darkness. How even in tough times He is the Light, the Hope. We are called to be shine Christ's light and to share the Hope of Salvation through Jesus with people, but how to be expect to do that if we are not delighting in Him? I hope I am kind of making since. We sometimes tend to make it about us, instead of about Jesus. We have to remain in Him if we want to bear fruit is what i guess I'm trying to say.


I don’t want this to sound like I’m pointing my finger at you…lol…in the words of Beth Moore “I’m talking to myself here," usually whatever I post on here is something God is teaching me, not something I have down!! I am a work a progress, a jar of clay in The Potters hands! Below I thought I would share some of the verses I found that just jumped out at me, as well as the song, that inspired this blog! Above is a picture I took at Myrtle Beach about a year ago, let the sunrise tomorrow be a reminder to you and me that Christ is our Light!! I hope everyone has an amazing Sunday!!!

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all" 1 Jn 1:5

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9

"and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,then your light will rise in the darkness,and your night will become like the noonday." Isa 58:10

"Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness." Luke 11:34
(side note: this made me think of the song "Mighty Fortress" were it says "and i will keep my eyes on You..")

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

"I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness" John 12:46

"I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.'" Acts 26:17-18

"For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness,"[a]made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." 2 Cor 4:5-6
(side note: these verses pretty much say what I was trying to say...lol)

"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light" Eph 5:8

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do;I will not forsake them." Isa 42:16

"even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day,for darkness is as light to you." Ps 139:12



Comments

Popular Posts