The Adoption

If you haven’t been able to tell already I like to write, and read. One of things I like to read...if it’s good…is poetry. I bought a book…ohhh… 4 or 5 years ago called “Things Pondered” by Beth Moore. Just as it says in Luke 2:19 “Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.” This also made me think of a quote I saw on something at Target. “We don’t remember the day to day things, we remember moments.” Well that is what this book is about and there are two poems particularly that just capture my heart every time. One is about marriage is one is about adoptions. Two things that I hope to do one day…haha ;). The one I want to share is the one called “Adoption.” First I will give you the back story, then the poem:

“When my daughters were 7 and 10 and we were basking in the marvelous years between preschool and adolescence, I learned a life-changing lesson about prayer- God reserves the right to fill petitions you forget to cancel long after you thought you changed your mind. All those years ago when I had asked God for a son, I assumed His answer was “no” not “wait.” Boy, was I ever wrong. On February 14,1990, my husband gave me a Valentine’s gift that keeps on giving- a pint-sized, four-year-old orphaned boy. He was the most beautiful little guy I had ever seen in all my life. I’ve since arrived at the conclusion that God often makes children who are going to be extra work, extra cute. At the time, however, his big brown eyes and inch-long eyelashes were simply selling points.
God had reserved room in our hearts and a room in our home for one more child. We were not looking to adopt a little boy. We were very satisfied with the size of our family. God had tendered our hearts over the plight of only one. His birth parents were married when he was born, but they soon gave up on each other and ultimately him. Sadly, the marriage of his second guardians also collapsed, and they sought a family to raise him. His name was Michael, but the girls soon nicknamed him Spud and it stuck. He was darling, very troubled, and the spitting image of his new daddy. These next words are not just phrases and rhymes. They comprise the events of a night that dramatically changed our lives. It was late that evening and our daughters were in bed. And, yes, it was a perfect moment."


THE ADOPTION

I heard thr front door open
My heart began to pound
I froze to see if it was them
Then I heard the sound

of tiny little four year old
asking this strange man
"how come we gathered all my clothes?"
Did my husband have a plan

Exactly how to tell the child
On this awaited day
"you've left the only house you've known
And now you're here to stay"?

And what am I to say to him,
"Hello, my name is mom"?
I was filled with insecurity
But husband looked so calm

He diverted his attention
And didn't answer right away
He looked at me assuredly
"Let's just let him play."

After minutes crept and crawled away
He patted his right knee
"can i talkd to you a moment,Child?
Would you sit right here with me?"

He stopped what he was doing
and crawled up on his lap
He looked straight into my husband's face
and dropped his baseball cap.

"Michael, do you have a Dad?"
my heart jumped in my throat.
A sadness swept that precious face
"No," he said "I don't."

"Michael, I've been thinking
Since the first i saw of you
We've got a commen problem
Is there something we can do?"

"I've everything that I could want
Upon my list but one
It seems that you don't have a Dad
And I don't have son."

"Whatcha say we strike a deal
and seal it with a shake?
I've thought it over carefully
Now, the choice is yours to make."

I remember well the boy's words,
feet swinging as he sat
After all this time without a Dad,
"It hadppend just like that?"

The man gave his a gentle nod
the boy's grin grew wet
As if he thought, "what's there to lose?'
He blurted our,"you bet!"

His hand appeared so fragile
in my husbands's callused palm
Keith whispered, "There's a bonus here.
That lady's now your Mom!"

The handshake gave to a hug
Tears came as no surprise
Transfixed, I watched my precious son
be born before my eyes.

They ascended up our stairway
Suitcase tightly in his hand
My husband pointed to a door
and said, "Enter little man."

Cautiosly he took each step
Until he was inside
bunk beds for boys, and lots toys
confused, his eyes grew wide

"Whose stuff is this?" The boy inquired
Not knowing what to do
"Go ahead and touch it, Child!
It all belongs to you."

The birthday of our special son
should not seem strange or new
For if you have been born again
You've been adopted too.

Fod God so loves this aching world
He pulls us, good and bad,
onto His lap and says to us,
"I want to be your Dad."

"You have to Heavenly Father
and you're not my son, it's true
but there's room inside my family
A space made just for you."

"It's a snap decision
It's the kind that takes the heart
But with a 'yes' all things are new
Want a second start?

"You betm Dear Lord, my mind's made up.
I've made my final choice
yes,I'll be your brand new-son!"
Let Angels now rejoice!"

Partake, Joint Heir, your heritage...
I am your graet Reward
strick closely my my side, Dear Child
I'll gaurd you with my sword!"

Friend are you wandering lost about,
An orphan of the soul,
Bleeding from your brokenness?
But One can make your whole.

Cease waiting 'til you're good enough
There's nothing you can do
God's business is adoption,Child,
And he has chosen you.

Forsake the earthly vanities
No treatures's left to own
That equals that sweet moment when
God says "Child, welcome home."


More amazing stories about adoption: http://www.143million.org/

Comments

Popular Posts