Wisdom with words

I don’t know how many of you have ever played the drawing game. It’s like telephone but better. I played it for the first time a few weeks ago at my friend Stephanie’s house. While we were all sitting down eating dinner my friend Clayton decided that I needed to play the drawing game. Just from everyone’s reactions I was a little nervous. I said “OK,” hesitantly, not knowing what I was getting myself into. Once Clayton explained what the game was I was a little more at peace…a little.
Basically the idea of the game is this: Get a group of people in a circle, we had 5 people but the more people the better. So each person received 5 sheets of paper. Each person will write a quote or phrase down on one of the sheets of paper. Once everyone has written a quote or phrase you pass it to the person to your left or right; whichever way your group decided to pass. Then the person who gets the quote/phrase has to draw a picture of that phrase the next sheet of paper. When they are done they have to pass it to the next person, and based on what you drew that have to write down a quote or phrase on the next sheet of paper, they can’t look at the phrase you wrote only the picture given. The idea is to draw an accurate picture to the quote/phrase. 90% of the time what you wrote is not what you get back. Its pretty funny. There is a purpose in telling you this I promise…hahaha. This game reminds me of what we do so often with our words.

-HUMAN WORDS BEAR THE IMAGE OF GOD THROUGH THEIR ENEVITABLE FRUIT-Proverbs 18:21 “The tongue has the power of life and death those who love it will eat its fruit.”

Commentary: “those who enjoy talking (i.e. indulging in it) must bear its fruit, whether good or bad. The lesson is to be warned especially if you love to talk.
The difference between our words and God’s words are God’s words are omnipotent, our words are potent. For example, in Isaiah 55:10-11 it says, talking about God’s words:

“As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”


When God speaks what He says is what will happen. There is always purpose behind it, it will always bear fruit. Us on the other hand, sometimes we just talk to talk, not real purpose in it, “we say things we don’t mean,” when we say something it plants a seed. I know in my life I have had things good and bad said to me that planted a seed in my heart and mind. It’s different than God’s words, obviously, but words from humans good or bad still have impact. The one speaking is not the only one who eats the fruit. The one you say the words to will also eat the fruit of your words ; they may be good they may be bad. WORDS PLANT IDEAS,LIKE SEEDS PLANT TREES.

Example: If someone told you that you were not smart or pretty…etc. Those words planted an idea, a thought. Granted a LIE, but never the less an idea. Another Example: If someone told you that you WERE smart, handsome, pretty, has what it takes…etc, that plants an idea or thought. Get the idea?

That statement is what made me think of the “drawing game”. When you play, you read a group of words (quote, or phrase), and based on those words you come up with a picture, an idea. If we are not careful WORDS CAN GO TO A PLACE YOU NEVER ENTENDED FOR THEM TO GO.

I think about when Jessica wrote something and then when she passed it to Daniel, he took it totally different than Jessica intended. Then by the time if got back to her, we were all thinking she wrote something dirty, when the whole time that was never what she meant by what she wrote. Poor Jess, love ya. It was funny, but so many times that is what happens when we speak before we think. It can have a negative or positive effect. Eating your words doesn’t always have to be bad. It just depends (pardon the countryness for a min), “whatcha been sayin.”
Prov 12:14 “From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things as surely as the work of his hands rewards him.”

-The fruit of your own words can reward you. –
I am the worst about this. I’m writing this as one with you on this journey. I am a talker. I was the kid in school that the teacher would say “she’s a great student she just talks too much.” As a girl it is SO hard to resist a good piece of gossip, especially if you are a people person. In Prov 18:8 says “The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man’s inmost parts.” I think this is harder of girls than boys sometimes. If I don’t have a sanctified mouth to the degree that my mouth is not sanctified it won’t be powerful to be a display of God’s glory. I want to have a mouth that is powerful in prayer, and powerful to encourage and exhort, but every time I abuse my vessel I just lessoned my ability to use it to the glory of God and to the effect of the Kingdom. Our words have impact; we will eat the fruit of them. So what kinds of fruit do you and I want to be eating?

Comments

Popular Posts